Books, Websites, Etc.
Listed below are resources that parents may find useful in raising their children and some specifically related to the camping experience.
- The Summer Camp Handbook
Christopher Thurber, Ph.D., and Jon C. Malinowski, Ph.D.
Everything a parent needs to know about the camp experience – what it is; what they and their children can expect; how to choose a camp; how to prepare for camp; and how to get the most out of camp! With clear ideas about mastering homesickness,how to stay in touch and what to do if a problem arises.The Summer Camp Handbook is available on Amazon.
- The Blessing of a Skinned Knee
Wendy Mogel, Ph.D.
An extremely useful, informative and sensible book, Dr. Mogel explains the over-anxious, over-involved parenting style that is prevalent today and offers sound, practical and important ways for parents to approach their children that will lead to better coping skills. Though the book makes references to Jewish teachings, the concepts and guidelines are universally accessible and eminently practical.Purchase at Amazon.
- Homesick and Happy: How Time Away from Parents Can Help a Child Grow
Michael Thompson, PhD
An insightful and powerful look at the magic of summer camp—and why it is so important for children to be away from home… If only for a little while.Purchase at Amazon.
- For a complete list of books that Bob Ditter, one of Camp Laney’s staff trainers, recommends, click here.
- American Camp Association: www.acacamps.org
Home page for the ACA.
- Sharing Personal Information about Your Child with Summer Camp Professionals:
Ready for Camp: What Parents Need To Know-Bob Ditter
- Camp Parents: www.campparents.org
ACA-sponsored, comprehensive resource for parents sending their child to summer camp.
- Dr. Christopher Thurber: www.campspirit.com
Dr. Thurber is one of Laney’s staff trainers. This is his website that deals with all things camp (preparing your son for camp, homesickness, etc)
- Dr. Michael Thompson: www.michaelthompson-phd.com
Dr. Thompson is a consultant, author, and psychologist specializing in children and families.
- Summer Camp Gear: www.everythingsummercamp.com
For camp trunks and all other gear needed for summer camp.
**To receive a camper discount contact Camp Laney for a promotional code.